Sunday, January 18, 2009

Well, it does have Corn.

I saw a commercial the other day trying to sell people on the idea that by buying products with High Fructose Corn Syrup. The pitch was that by buying the products, the consumers are helping the corn farmers survive. Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice, lab mice are literately being blown up due to a diet including, not solely, high fructose corn syrup. Sweet.
So, while shopping at Costco, my most favorite place to be, I made the tough choice to purchase Aunt Jemima Syrup (2-40 oz bottles for $5.50) over the organic pure maple syrup (1-22 oz bottle for $17.95). At that point it was not really that tough of a choice, I have no money. I make pancakes a lot for the girls and they have a unnatural obsession with waffles. That I am not worried about, its the syrup that gives me the willies. I was sort of ok about the pure maple, but come on, almost $40 a month on syrup? That is out of control. Then I brought home the stuff I grew up on, Aunt Jemima. First ingredient, high fructose corn syrup. Sweet. To get the crap to get onto the pancakes, I have to heat it up. It comes out as thick as sap. Would rather feed the girls sap, to be honest. It has food color to make it look like food, when really it is just mouse-killing crap. It is impossible to clean up. It tastes like pure sugar (girls love it).
So, needless to say, my girls have it a few times a week. Shit, no one said I was perfect.

No comments: